01 October, 2010

Alexis vs. UI (part3)

One more time, mæstro...


This time the visual impact is a bit more noticeable since I replaced my resource hogging unit frames with something a little lighter in an unsuccessful attempt to stop the random crashing of the game.


I have removed the following addons:

AzCastBar - modular casting bars (all core bars disabled, dependency only)
AzCastBarPaladinPlugins - tracking for paladin abilities and cooldowns
AzCastBarPlugins - cooldown, battleground, totem timers and threat bar
DeadlyBossMods SpellTimers - displays spell cooldowns for party/raid members
GearScoreLite - only loaded on level 80 characters and never during raids
Pitbull4 - unit frames
TipTop - tooltip customization

And here is the current list:
* !BugGrabber - debugging tool
Addon Control Panel - this should be self-explanatory
Addon Loader
- delays/controls loading of some addons
AdiBags - inventory and bank sorting, one bag feature
BadBoy - gold spam filter
BadBoy CCleaner - crap filter
BadBoy Levels - whisper filter
Broker AFKTimer - one-click away status and display
Broker FindGroup - displays LFD status and queue times
* BugSack - debugging tool
ButtonFacade - action button styler
ButtonFacade Caith - clean action button skin
ChocolateBar - LDB display
* ConfirmLootRoll - automatically accepts the annoying confirmation popups when in a group.
DeadlyBossMods - boss encounter notifications
eAlign - grid alignment overlay for customizing UI frames
ErrorHandler - error message control
GrizzlySharedMedia - currently using DarkBottom (alternating sometimes between that, Minimalist and Flat) bar textures and krsnik, Caith and Siana borders
HideAchievement - hides the achievement frame which covers and interferes with my party/raid frames
HudMap - encounter heads-up display and compass
InFlight - I can't count how many times I've flown to the wrong location without it
LitePanels - art panel framework, mine are slightly transparent black with class coloured borders
LootRollMover - moves the default loot roll frame which covers and interferes with my party/raid frames
Mapster - what the fuck were they thinking, covering the entire interface with the default map!
MicroDeclineDuel - automatically cancels duels
MoveAnything - because the idiots at Blizzard put some UI elements in the most absurd places
ncResurrect - automatically releases spirit in pvp zones and accepts resurrects in groups
* oRA3 - raid tools/cooldowns (might get rid of this because I've only seen one cooldown tracked by it)
* oUF - CPU friendly unit framework
* oUF HealComm4 - allows the display of incoming group heals
* oUF Nivaya - oUF layout for dummies
* oUF PowerSpark - allows the display of the FSR or energy tick spark
Parrot - scrolling battle text
picoFriends - LDB online friend display
picoGuild - LDB online guild display
PocketPlot - simple minimap styler
* POM Assist - (priests only) Prayer of Mending tracker
Prat 3.0 - extended chat customization
QueLevel - adds quest levels to all applicable frames 
Recount - combat log parser mainly used to gauge tank effectiveness
RecountGuessedAbsorbs - aproximated absorb amounts for any absorb or proc ability
* SharedMedia - because oUF Nivaya will not use the textures from GrizzlySharedMedia without it
shPerformance - displays framerate, latency and addon memory usage with a one-click garbage collection feature
Skinner - because the default UI is a public eyesore
StellarBars - removes the distracting gryphon textures from the default main action bars and allows for some graphic customization
TidyPlates - nameplate customization
TidyPlates ThreatPlates - displays aggro status on all nameplates within range
WintergraspLDB - Wintergrasp Timer
zBrokerDurability - displays current durability of armour and vendor repair cost


* denotes newly added mods



The UI memory usage is about 10 mb less than it used to be with this setup, but the game still frequently stops responding and locking up to the point where I have to alt-tab out and end the process from Windows Task Manager. I even updated my GPU drivers, which were embarrassingly 2 months old, and added two fans inside the case and that only seemed to make the lockups less frequent but not completely solve the problem. My GPU core is running about 20C cooler than overheating temperatures so I am completely baffled.

However, I have been doing quite a bit of research in between futile attempts at sleeping, raiding, fighting with the UI and adjusting to the new visual changes. I've just made a few game tweaks which were suggested by Blizzard Technical Support and deleted the game cache so I hope that finally solves the problem. I am getting rather tired of having the game lock up in the middle of boss fights and causing wipes because of it.

I made a decent attempt at using Grid but experienced such horrible frame rate lag (7 FPS) with it that my screen was literally moving in stop motion during combat and was still very choppy when moving out of combat with no spell activity. My graphics settings are at the lowest with exceptions to spell detail and view distance which are still very low. I have these set for character safety so that I can see when I am standing in bad shit and so that aggressive mobs don't see me before I see them. I did several tests by disabling addons one at a time and the frame rate lag stopped when I disabled Grid. It's a shame because it really does have everything a healer needs to see in very compact frames and this oUF layout that I'm using does not and I am not good enough with lua coding to change it.

It is also taking me quite a while to get used to these unit frames. They are quite a bit smaller and take up less screen space, but also the dispellable highlighting distracts me and I can't always see how much of a health deficit there is when there is something that needs to be dispelled so my reaction time has really slowed down and a lot of people have died because I couldn't see that they needed immediate attention until it was too late or they were already dead, or if I did, I got overwhelmed, confused and just had my brain lock up on me. Also, this layout does not support raid or party pets and I am finding that most layouts don't so I need to have friendly nameplates enabled to see their health statuses which is also overwhelming since my screen just becomes a messy array of nameplates

I did save my PitBull4 settings so that if I need to go back to that, I can do so wihtout too much of a headache, but when you start adding groups or units that are not currently there by default like raid, raid pets and party targets, it starts locking up when swiching to config mode. This is why I thought switching from PitBull4 to oUF would make a difference in my game freezing.

Silly me.

No comments:

Post a Comment