09 July, 2010

Random Associations and the Issue of Privacy

I like red jelly beans and the smell of little kitler paws.


Being the victim of social abuse for merely expressing my (albeit paranoid) feelings on privacy issues from the perspective of a rape survivor, I don't frequent forums anymore. Like a good little girl who should be seen and not heard, I have been curbstomped enough to learn to keep my mouth shut in most cases. In order to do this, I had to delete all of my posts and forum IDs where possible and stop reading them altogether for a long period of time. It was very difficult.

I only recently started reading them again for the sole purpose of keeping up with what was going on in the UI community in regards to useful addons because let's face it, the default WoW UI does not show nearly enough useful information and is a horrid eyesore. Let us not mention the fact that I am religiously fanatical about the state of my UI and that my mentally challenged brain doesn't function well with the default interface.

So what does all of this have to do with red jelly beans and kitler paws?

Nothing at all... probably, but it's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread at wowinterface.com. The second thing that came to mind was pure terror. I remember browsing the public test realm site some weeks before the RealID feature was officially announced and the ultimate terror that hit me in the face like a speeding freight train.

It never ceases to amaze me how greedy corporations and people are, even under the overwhelmingly negative responses to their "brilliant, new ideas". Quickly skimming through just two of the RealID threads on wowinterface.com and worldofwarcraft.com, I roughly guessed that 75% to 80% of the responses were extremely against this "optional" service, yet not so long after the announcement, Blizzard pushed it live through patch 3.3.5 regardless. And now they want to force RealID on everyone who uses the official forums, while still stating that posting in the forums is "completely optional". Nevermind the fact that there are certain things you can't do, except via the forums such as making a game suggestion. Optional, my ass.

Now, I have been flamed before for voicing my opinions on such matters, and the terror makes it extremely hard to keep my trap shut. Still, I grind my fangs and sit quietly as I always do, seething alone in rage and paranoia. At least I still have some red jelly beans. I'd really like to load up a semi-automatic pellet gun with them and march right into Blizzard headquarters and show them the fury of smelly kitler paws. Sure. "We listen to our customers". Greedy fucking bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment